Base oil is an annual herb, known as Ocimum basilicum, belongs to Lamiaceae family. It is originated from Tropical Asia and Pacific Islands, commonly cultivated in Europe, Central Asia, India and Southeast Asia. It grows up to 1 meter, its flower from white to pink. Basil essential oil is a source of Vitamin A, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron and Calcium. Basil oil used for various medicinal purposes.
Basil oil is extracted from leaves and flowers of Ocimum basilicum through steam distillation.
Its major constituents are linalool, fenchol, eugenol, methyl chavicol (Estragole) and β-caryophyllene and other minor constituents are α-pinene, camphene, β-pinene, myrcene, limonene, cis-ocimene, γ-terpineol, citronella, geraniol and methyl cinnamate.
Basil oil is a pale greenish yellow and clear in colour and watery in viscosity. Its aroma is crispy, light.
Basil oil is well mixes with bergamot, lemon, juniper, eucalyptus, neroli, lavender, clove bud, geranium, Melissa, lime, hyssop, marjoram and rosemary.
Safety and Precaution-
- Basil oil is used for culinary purpose as active ingredients for Italian dishes.
- It is used to treat nausea, sickness, indigestion, constipation, diabetes.
- It is ingredient in skin care supplement as it enhances the luster of dull looking skin and also improves the tone of skin.
- It also helps in reduce the symptoms of acne.
- It is used to improve the luster of hairs and also effective against fatigue, flaky scalp.
- It is used in massage oil as basil oil is analgesic, it provide relief from pain, soothes muscle after exercise.
- Basil oil has carminative properties used to treat indigestion, constipation, stomach cramps and flatulence.
- As basil oil have colic quality, also used to alleviate bowel pain.
- It is used to providing relief from cold, influenza and associated fever.
- Basil oil is antispasmodic, used to treat whooping cough.
- It is used to treat asthma, bronchitis, and sinusitis.
- It is used to treat diarrhea and mucous discharges
- Basil oil used to treat various infections such as cuts, wounds, skin infection and bladder infection.
- It is used to reduce mental stress, also improve alertness, used to treat nervous tension, mental fatigue, melancholy, migraines and depression. It provides mental strength and clarity.
- It is used in aromatherapy because of its crisp smelling and refreshing aroma, used to re-energize and soothing effect on muscle.
- It is used to increase metabolic function of body, also improve blood circulation as well.
- It is effective against occasional sleeplessness.
- It is also used against burns, bruises, scars injuries and surgical recovery, sprains and headaches.
- It used to prevent vomiting, nausea, sickness.
- Do not use in excessive amount as it may be carcinogenic due to its methyl clavicol content.
- Avoid use of basil oil while pregnant or breast feeding.
- Keep basil oil away from reach of children.
- It can cause low blood sugar in some people.
- Do not use people who are suffering from bleeding disorder.